Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Banquet in a Field

Yesterday evening I was able to attend a wonderful event called Banquet in a Field just outside of Fargo at the home of Peterson Farms Seed.  The event is just what the title implies - a banquet in a field.

The event is hosted by CommonGround North Dakota, a group of volunteer farm women which I am a part of.  Our goal is to bridge the gap between the agricultural community and those who may be further removed from the farm.  We want to start the conversation between women who grow food, and those who purchase and prepare it for their families.

I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to attend the event due to our busy schedule on the farm, but we were completing winter wheat and barley harvest so I confirmed I could attend just a few days prior.  Then a kid got sick with a low fever and headache.  If farming doesn't thwart my plans, children do - it is the life of a farm mom.  However, the kid pulled through and I was on my way to the event just in time for it to begin.

The event featured eleven crops and three meats that are produced within the state of North Dakota.  I was stationed at the barley table, which was fitting since we literally just finished combining it.

The barley table - I love barley!

Appetizers made from the crops and meats were placed at each table, and since 96% of North Dakota barley is made into beer, we had Summit beer samples.  Bud Light was also served.

North Dakota barley goes in to Summit beers.

The highlight of the evening was the wonderful food prepared by Tony and Sarah Nasello of the scrumptious Sarello's and The Lost Italian.  The meal included the appetizers such as candied bacon and sun brittle, a handmade gnocchi pomodoro, the most tender beef tenderloin, various side dishes, and honey vanilla ice cream.

The Banquet in a Field menu.  YUM!

The food was delicious!  I didn't take any photos during the meal, because I was too busy eating and engaging in conversation.  It was the best meal I have had in a very long time, maybe ever - and that is not because the majority of the meals I have consumed in the last few weeks have consisted of deli meat sandwiches out of a lunch box.

Thank you to everyone who attended the event!  I feel very grateful to be a part of North Dakota agriculture and enjoy goods that we produce.

The best way to end a day is with a North Dakota sunset.


Dana


P.S. I posted these photos to my social media accounts, but you can view other photos by searching #NDbanquet15.

No comments:

Post a Comment