Friday, May 8, 2015

Sisterhood Tag

I have a confession to make...

I read a lot of blogs.  I'd like to read more actual books, but I tend to get pulled into posts on the computer.  It is probably due to the fact that I subscribe to a blog after reading a post or two, and then get an email in my inbox notifying me of a new post.  I dislike having a bunch of unread emails, so I tend to read them right away.  I need to learn to unsubscribe, but really do appreciate reading commentary from real people who are writing because they enjoy it and don't expect payment in return.

One blog that I recently started reading this winter was Prairie Californian.  I don't know why it took me so long to find Jenny and her blog, but I have loved reading her posts and following her on social media (Facebook, Instagram & Twitter). She is a transplanted North Dakota farm wife, just like myself.  And if there is anything I have learned in these past three-and-a-half years on the North Dakota prairie, is that having a connection to other farm wives is essential to one's survival.

I was honored when Jenny recently tagged me in the Sisterhood of the World of Bloggers Award.  Here are the questions that she asked me:



1. Why did you start your blog?

I started my blog right when we moved to the farm in August of 2011.  My family, friends, and co-workers, were intrigued that I (a career driven, city girl) was moving to a farm in the middle of no-where and becoming a stay-at-home mom.  The idea of a blog to share my journey was sparked when I had a rare girl's night out with two of my friends from college.  I came up with the blog name that evening, and the rest is history.

2. What is one thing you can’t live without?

Is this question supposed to be sentimental or material?  Obviously, I can't live without my family.  However, if we are discussing "things" I would have to say my phone.  Travis and I held out on getting smart phones until two years ago, and now they are a highly valued tool in our daily lives.  Seriously, how did we ever live with out them?!

3. If you could travel one place, all expenses paid, where would you go?

There are a lot of places I would love to travel to, but in reality I am a homebody.  I don't mind traveling, but I need down time at home too (a great combination for farming)!  I love learning about new places, and feel fortunate that I had a fairly well-traveled childhood.  My parents took our family on a trip almost every year.  Now, as a parent I appreciate how our oldest boy is in love with learning about geography and United States history.  If there is any trip that I'd like to go on to one specific place, it would be to take him to Washington D.C.

4. What’s one of the scariest things you’ve ever done?

When I moved to a farm.  I had no idea what I was getting myself into.  It is really hard for people that have never lived around agriculture to understand the business aspects of farming.  This was the biggest eye-opener for me, that you are constantly putting your family's financial security on the line.  There is also the physical dangers of the occupation, and now I operate the machinery...even scarier (just kidding)!

5. When you were a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?

This is funny.  I really loved floor plans and design, and Frank Lloyd Wright's philosophy on prairie style is still one of my favorites. I thought I would be an architect.  Coincidentally, I had changed my mind about that specific career prior to entering college, but I did end up marrying an architect (Travis is a licensed architect).  My career prior to moving to the farm was in a similar field - facility management with a heavy emphasis on space planning - and I worked on floor plans daily.  I don't do that anymore, but I am alright with my life choices.

6. Who in your life has influenced you the most?

My husband and children.  Travis and I have been on quite the journey together these past 12 years: first love, long-distance relationship, college graduations, marriage, children, career and lifestyle changes.  Motherhood has stretched me as a person (and not just my skin).

7. How do you like your steak cooked?

Medium.  I am learning to appreciate medium-rare, but if there is a lot of "red-juice" it is a bit much for me.  Side-note #1: I think I have consumed more stake in the years at farm than all those previous - North Dakotans like steak.  Side-note #2: I didn't know how to grill until we moved to the farm - farm wives rule the grill.

8. What are some of the first things you do in the morning?

I am not a morning person.  It takes me a good half-an-hour to wake up.  Typically the kids are running at full speed as soon as their feet hit the floor, so Travis gets up and prepares them breakfast while I pry myself out of bed, pull my hair into a pony, wash my face and get dressed.  He gets to spend some time with them (as he works well past their bed time most evenings), and I am able to become human.

9. What is one of your favorite quotes?

"You get what you get and you don't through a fit." - My oldest boy.  I believe the original credit should be given to his teacher at school.  It applies to the various snacks handed out at snack time, but I think it provides a good lesson for life.

10. What is your favorite season of the year? 

FALL!  I love the rich, warm colors.  I love the cool, crisp mornings.  I love the smell of burning leaves.  It marks the end of the growing season and harvesting the crop that we worked hard all year to produce.


Write on,

Dana

2 comments:

  1. So glad that Sarah and I were able to go out with you that night!! I love following your blog and reading about your adventures - keep up the great writing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! It was a great time. Who knows what I'd be doing with my time if I didn't have this blog?! :)

      Delete