Thursday, April 2, 2015

March: The Month of Preparation

Welcome to the March installment of my Month-By-Month blog series.  While January was about the books and February was about networking, March is all about preparing for the upcoming farming season.

A lot of work goes into getting to the field each spring.  There is a lot of maintenance on equipment, and fixing things that may have been neglected during the previous growing season.  Our time is limited, so we have to use the off-season to get these improvements implemented.

Travis working on the air seeder with his dad.
Levi is supervising.

March is also a time to haul grain.  During harvest, we bring some of the crop directly from the field to the grain elevator in town, and transport the rest to bins at home.  Travis and his dad own condo space at the elevator that allows us to store a portion of grain (certain number of bushels) to be sold at a later date.

This year we had wheat and corn contracts that required delivery during the month of April. Over the past month, Travis hauled the grain to town and stored it in the condo space.  As of yesterday, the grain is considered delivered and we got paid on those contracts (always a good feeling).

Loading corn at the beginning of the month to be hauled to the elevator.

While Travis focused on the machinery and grain transport during the month of March, I focused on getting things organized on the home front in preparation for the craziness that comes with spring planting.  The off-season is MY time, or I like to think of it that way (not reality).

This March I didn't get to nearly as much as I had hoped to.  I had high aspirations of deep cleaning the house, freezer cooking meals for during planting, organizing the closets, and devote more time to blogging.

What actually got accomplished?

Cleaning: I was able to keep up with some general cleaning, but the carpet cleaner is still in the box it was shipped in from Amazon.  (If you visit, don't look at the spilled milk and food stains all over our couch!)

The reviews said this carpet cleaner works great
when you assemble and actually use it.

Freezer Cooking: There are approximately five freezer meals to get through one week of planting.  Kind of a disappointment, but I went overboard in this area last winter.  We grew tired of eating five different types of taco meat well into the summer and fall.  I hope to do more grilling this year to make up for it.

Just add tortillas and taco-fixings, and you have a meal.

Clutter: I love organizing, and I couldn't get to the boys' next season of clothes without taking care of the mess that had been shoved behind the closet doors over the past six months, so I was especially motivated on this task.  Bonus: I sold a bunch of the baby clothes and other related rummage, so I feel vindicated.

WARNING: Enter closet at your own risk!
Wait, you can't even enter because it is jam-packed.

Blogging: I have rediscovered my passion for this hobby.  I cleaned up glitches on old posts, uploaded photos that had somehow changed their orientation, and changed some of the post labels to make it easier for readers to find topics that may be of their interest.  I blogged for entire week on our involvement with the North Dakota Farm Bureau.  I created accounts on other social media platforms - join me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter!

I probably spent the majority of my time on this task, but I think it will be well worth the investment to stay connected to all of you during the farming season when I have less time to write blog posts.

Anyways, cooking and cleaning can always be put off to another time - ask anyone, particularly those with small children.


Until next month,

Dana

4 comments:

  1. I look forward to the new blogs every month!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nicci! I'm glad to have loyal readers like you.

      Delete
  2. Who is the farm safety officer? A ladder / step stool might be better than a can with a flammable liquid label. Also are they wearing regular glasses or safety glasses that are ANSI Z87 rated?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michael, Thank you for your concern. Improving safety on the farm is something we are striving for. We do not have the funds to hire an official farm safety officer, but I'll inform Levi that is now his job. Those guys are hard of hearing (or just have selective hearing). I can tell you that the can, which they do in fact refer to as "height extender," is completely empty. They own safety glasses, but I am not sure of the rating. We do always make sure that our glasses are poly-carbonate lenses.

      Delete