Friday, March 13, 2015

My American Farm

We live on a farm in rural America.  We consider ourselves fortunate that we had the opportunity to come back to my husband's family farm, and raise our own family in agriculture.  It is understandable that not everyone has the ability to raise their own food - or that they want to.  Farming as a career and lifestyle is not for everyone.

However, that does not mean that people shouldn't know where their food and energy comes from, how it is grown, and who is helping to produce it.

The best way to know where your food comes from is to visit a real farm in person, but not everyone has the ability to visit a farm everyday, once a week or even month!  There are other great tools available to help our kids learn about food and farming.  One of these is through My American Farm.

My American Farm is a set of FREE computer games (and app) based on agriculture.

Screenshot of MyAmericanFarm.org.

What is great about the games on My American Farm is that they are age appropriate: grades PreK-K, K-2, and 3-5.

Our oldest boy, Charlie, is in Kindergarten and learning to read.  The PreK-K games are perfect for him because there is a button he can push to have a narrator read the text (it also highlights the word being spoken).  This is wonderful for parents, so that they do not have to read everything aloud to their child and the kids can play the game independently.

Charlie playing the "In My Barn" game.

The My American Farm games are also focused by subject: Math, Science, Health, Geography, Language Arts, Social Science, and Careers.

If your kids have had enough screen time for the day, there are additional activity sheets hereAttention teacher friends: these can also be used in the classroom!  You can sort the activity sheets based on the grade level and subject area.

This weekend when you need a break from the kids, I'd encourage you to check out My American Farm.  You can play along too and learn more about agriculture!

As Levi says, "This is so cool, Mom!"


Farm Mom,
Dana


P.S. This week, March 8-14th, is North Dakota Farm Bureau week. You can read Monday's post here, and Tuesday's post here, and Wednesday's post here, and Thursday's post here

Disclaimer:  I did not get paid to promote My American Farm or any other Farm Bureau related items I have wrote about the past week.  All opinions are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Dana, I love your blog...it's so real! Hadn't heard about My American Farm, but I'm going to check it out now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shauna! My kids really do enjoy the games.

      Delete