Friday, February 6, 2015

Month by Month: A Series

I have found over the last three-and-a-half years of maintaining this blog that I am not good about routine posting.  It is not that I don't have the inspiration for topics to write about.  On the contrary, I regularly think, "Oh, that would make a good post!" and start formulating what I would say in my head.

I just never get around to t-y-p-i-n-g it out on the computer.

And I am not one to use the phrase, "I don't have the time," because we all can manage our time better to do the things that are important to us. (Nerd alert: I am a huge fan Laura Vanderkam and Gretchen Rubin's writings on time management and habit formation.  Check them out!)

However, time management is easier said than done when you live on a farm.  Most times the outlying factors are not predictable.

It is very difficult to plan your schedule for the day when a piece of machinery breaks and you have to run all over the place to get parts, or the weather forecast was way off (as seems to happen frequently in the Midwest), or one of the kids gets sick, etc.

So rather than give you a "day in the life" type of post (and commit myself to doing it regularly) I thought that I would write a series of posts throughout the year highlighting what I was doing each month.

Afterall, no day is ever the same.  At times it may seem a little like Groundhog Day, but each year truly is different than the next, and we do not do the same things during the same weeks every year on the farm.

To kick off the series, I'd like to give you a little background.  You can read about how our family moved back to the farm here.

Charlie & Levi in August 2011 - the month we moved to the farm.

The long story short is that I went from being a full-time working-mom at a large corporation in a metropolitan area with two very young children, to a stay-at-home farm wife who had never lived in the country.

I went from having my architect husband home every night and weekend (even if he did go into the office at times to work on projects after-hours) to him working all hours of the night and day in some field, some where.

I went from having a very routine work-home balanced life where I brought my kids to daycare during the week while I went to work at the office, to having them at home with just me ALL. DAY. LONG. 

My perceived notions of the schedule of a farmer were not exactly on par to reality.  It was an adjustment, to say the least.

But the move was a change that I longed for.  I knew it would be different.  I was ready for different...or so I thought.

Don't get me wrong, I really cherish the time we had as a family when we first moved to the farm.  I have so many fond memories with the boys playing in our yard and going out to the field or machine shed to visit Travis everyday.

Daddy and his helper in October 2011

When you become a mother the whole stay-at-home mom vs. working-mom scenario starts to play with your mind.  I am happy that I got to experience both.  I know that the "grass is always greener" effect is very real.

However, after experiencing both situations, I now feel like I have a better balance.  I get to have more focused time helping on the farm, and also have quality time taking care of the boys.

About two years ago, the older boys started to go to a great daycare in town that also has a preschool.  We started off at 2-3 days a week, and after 9 months the boys started going full-time.

During that time I realized that some moms are better at raising their kids 100% in their own home, while others thrive on doing other things and having their kids participate in daycare programs.  The percentage of time spent in each area is different for every family.

In my option, the situation is more unique for farming families, since many times farmers  do not ever really "clock-out."

Currently, all three of our boys go to daycare and school during the week, and full-time during the summer months, while I work on the farm with Travis.  By having the boys in daycare, I have the hours of 9am-4pm completely free do whatever the heck I want (HA!), but still be available for the family should a need arise at anytime.

So in case you are wondering, "What does she do all day?"  Stay tuned, because I intend to answer...month by month.


Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment