Sunday, February 17, 2013

I'm Farming and I Grow It

FACT:  Prior to moving to the farm I had no idea what Farm Bureau was.

There wasn't a lot of farming related organizations in the Minneapolis suburb where I was raised and where Travis & I lived after we were married.  No 4H or FFA either.

Back in that suburb, there is a county Farm Bureau, but ashamedly back then I probably wouldn't have even noticed had I saw the office.  Most of the the land that once was farmed was being developed into big-box stores and large cookie-cutter housing developments.

I may have be slightly ignorant as to the vast involvement of farmers in our community and state as whole.

Then a year-and-a-half ago we moved to North Dakota countryside.  Agriculture is abundant - and I love it!

As soon as we moved to the farm, Travis started being involved in our county's Farm Bureau.  His dad had been involved in the organization and instilled his passion for agriculture education and policy.

Travis and I were our county's delegates at the North Dakota Farm Bureau Annual Meeting in November.  It was an educational for both of us, but especially me, as to the issues farmers and ranchers are facing throughout the state.

Then two weeks ago Travis and I attended the NDFB Young Farmers & Ranchers Leadership Conference in Bismarck.  Charlie came along too.  Levi had a terrible cold and double-ear infection so we left him at home with my in-laws.

The theme of the conference was "I'm Farming and I Grow It," based on the viral parody video produced by Greg Peterson.  Charlie and Levi love to watch this video over, and over again!



The conference had a variety of presenters and activities covering a range of issues and topics.  One of the speakers encouraged us to tell our agriculture story via social media. Um...check!

Travis competed in the Discussion Meet and will be completing at the state event this November.  Unfortunately, I didn't get to witness it as I was unsuccessfully trying to get Charlie to nap in the hotel room.

Charlie got in some swimming time in with his dad, but would not stop to pose for a picture!

An indoor pool for a ND kid is a treat during the winter months.

The last evening we had Deuces Wild! Dueling Pianos as entertainment.  They were hilarious and played some great music!  (For those of you who have seen them before, they kept it clean for the kiddos.)


Charlie jamming to his own beat.

We had an excellent time at the conference and look forward to go back next year.

In fact, we were are now the District 3 Young Farmer & Rancher Committee Members!  We'll be attending many YF&R meetings and activities over the next three years as we represent the southeast counties of the state.  You can check out our bio and the other committee members here.

We look forward to being more involved in such a great organization.  And I'll continue to belt out teach my kids the lyrics to "I'm Farming and I Grow It."


Ag Enthusiast - Dana


P.S.  If you like the video, check out their performance of "Farmer Style!"


No comments:

Post a Comment