Sunday, October 21, 2012

Bookkeeping

Hello there!  Yes, I realize I've gone missing again.  This time real work is to blame.  That’s right – I said work.

Remember way back in April when I said that I am incharge of the bookkeeping for Travis’s farming operation?  That at that time I still had not yet started tracking our farm finances in the appropriate software?  Well, since just over a week ago I still hadn't started in on that task.

I had continued to keep every.single.receipt for any expense we made during the year. And file every.single.receipt in a binder.  And track every.single.transaction in Mint.com.

Organization is my middle name.  It sounds much better than Anal Retentive.

It’s not like I was completely ignoring my bookkeeping duties, but before you go thinking that I am really lazy and don’t really work outside the house so what am I really doing with my time anyways…

Levi is running around in circles. I find that very fitting.

I must inform you that it wasn't my fault!  The software failed to install on our computer, so we had to borrow one from my in-laws.  I was finally set to start entering our financial history for the year of 2012.

In case any farmers out there are curious as to what program we are using it is called Farm Biz.  It is a version similar to Ultra Farm.  Both are truly archaic (the code book I am using is dated 1990), but they get the job done.  They are designed specifically to create the fields entered in a Schedule F and are very useful when looking at the financial status of your farming operation.


For the past week, after working during any free moment I had from my other obligations (i.e. children), I was able to get 10-and-a-half months of farm income and expenses entered in the program.  That was roughly 2-3 hours a day – if I was lucky.  I haven’t worked that much at a computer each day (other than blogging or stalking Facebook) since I quit my cube monkey desk job.

Now that we have all of our expenses and income accounted for, we can start looking at what actions we need to take with our financial situation such as paying off debt and/or pre-paying for inputs for next year (chemicals, etc.).  We also have to create depreciation schedules for the capital purchases that we made this year.

Who knew that the accounting class from college that I truly despised would come in handy?!  Seriously, everyone should get a business minor regardless of your major. That is if you choose to go to college.

My previous employment in the corporate world as proven to be helpful as well.  Every expense/income that I enter into the Farm Biz software has to be coded to a certain category.  I was used to coding all of my expenses at my previous employer, and there were a lot!  By the time I left my job I think I had almost all of our non-manufacturing sector (i.e. office jobs) SAP cost centers memorized for at least the two divisions I serviced and at the corporate headquarters.

I have caught up on all of this, and now it is just a matter of entering our financial information for the remainder of the year…and start entering the information for 2013 as soon as that year begins and not ten months later.

And really, please realize that I’m being sarcastic the fact that I am calling our bookkeeping “real work.”  Although it is part of the farm and we cannot function as a business without it, it is not really hard work.

We had our septic system pumped yesterday and I just happened to be cleaning out the garden when the guy arrived and I was in the general vicinity.  This is something I have never encountered before living in the city.  You just flush and that is that.  You don't have to have someone clean out a tank of your own poop.  Trust me, he has hard work.  It was stinky.


Now that is a crappy job (pun intended)....just don't ask me where they put the poo.

Workin’ hard for the money,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment