Thursday, September 20, 2012

I Love You. I Love You NOT.

Hi there.  It feels like it has been forever.  It has really.  Almost two weeks since my last blog post.

Fall is upon us.  It is my favorite season out of the four we experience in North Dakota (although some people would argue winter takes precedence over most of the year).  It’s the chill in the air and the beauty of the changing color of the leaves.  Or ripe soybeans for farmers.

Ripe, dry soybeans ready for harvest.

This is also a crazy time of the year: preschool starting, harvest, MOPS group planning and meetings, planting winter wheat, Sunday School preparations, harvest.  Did I mention harvest?

I spy Charlie in the combine cab.

It is the time of year when we are wrapping up a years worth of hard work on the farm and hoping it all pays off, which thankfully it should.

My love for this time of year is turning temporarily into a love/hate relationship.  The only thing I hate about it is the relentless, time-consuming nature of harvest.  Sure, it is exciting and with every truckload that goes to the elevator being like an imaginary paycheck in your back pocket (that I might add has probably already been spent on equipment or something like fertilizer for the next year), but is also everyday.

No weekends here.  You are lucky to get a break with a little bit of rain or cold weather to give you breather.

Now, I don’t want to sound like I am complaining.  Really, I shouldn’t have too much to complain about.  It’s not like I’m the one out in the field doing hard labor (at least not currently). However, everyone else in this household is and therefore I am with the kids 24/7, cooking meals for what seems like an army, and driving back and forth from the field like a maniac shuttle service.

It typically wouldn’t be all that different from what is “normal” around here, but things have not been “normal.”  Enter the worst sleep patterns my children have ever had in their lives for the past month.  Maybe it’s something in the air (manure?) or the change of seasons due to the axis of the earth or WHATEVER…I don’t do well with 5 hours of interrupted sleep a night.

I’ve been getting maybe an hour of time to myself everyday, which is more than some people who have kids that don’t nap can say, but that is the reason behind no blogging.  It has taken me three days to write this post because of this guy in particular.

Having fun reading our Farm Bureau newsletter.

Yes, I love you Levi.  I also love a little rest and relaxation.

Thankfully, I got some this past weekend…in the form of this:


Last weekend, I attended the wedding of one of my college girlfriends in Sauk Center, MN.  Due to soybean harvest, Travis was not able to join me.  My parents came up from the Twin Cities to watch the boys (thank you!), so it was a "Girls Night Out" for me!

NDSU Kappa Delta Sorority Mini-Reunion

We had a great time talking like we were living back in the sorority house all over again, enjoying some beverages, and dancing the night away to Britney Spears.  Thinking back there was not really any rest (I got the same 5 hours of interrupted sleep), but I did get to relax a bit!

Congrats to Stacy and Chris on their wedding!

Congrats to Stacy & Chris!

Sorry for the less than spectacular photo of the happy couple.  This is the only photo that I took of them as I was too busy doing other things mentioned above and not in documentation mode.

Okay, enough blogging.  Back to harvest.

Harvest continues...

Dearest Harvest, I love you…not.  Okay, sometimes.  It’s complicated.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment