Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Norwegian Dinner

We had a Norwegian family visiting Travis’s family throughout the last two weeks.  Yesterday evening we all gathered at my sister-in-law and brother-in-law’s house to celebrate the Norwegian’s last night in North Dakota.

Sondra prepared a traditional Norwegian dinner that consisted of homemade meatballs in gravy (kjøttkaker), boiled potatoes, carrots, cabbage stew, and salad greens and summer squash (from my garden!).

Traditional Norwegian meal

It was excellent food, and Levi really, really liked it!  After he ate some food in his booster seat at the table, he insisted to get down and play.  He then ended up next to Sondra, and I think he ate half of her plate!



Full belly = happy baby.

We also celebrated Travis’s grandma Margaret’s 92nd birthday!  I have been saying she is 92 years old for some time, but yesterday was officially her birthday.

Happy 92nd Birthday, Margaret!

After dinner, we spent some time just talking about the Norwegian’s trip to Yellowstone and what they have enjoyed while being in “America.”  Who would have though that a vacation to the plains of North Dakota would be entertaining?!  They got the full cowboy experience while traveling to Wyoming, including going to a rodeo, eating at Texas Roadhouse, seeing the badlands and lots of bison at TheodoreRoosevelt National Park.  I think they have seen more of the state of North Dakota than I have at this point.

Norway has a lot of influence from the American culture (like a love affair with country music), but some things that they don’t have: Hardees, Mountain Dew, instant oatmeal and pancake mix (just add water!).  I found it interesting that they think a lot of the desserts and snacks we eat are too sweet, like root beer floats.  They also don’t eat hotdishes, which I think is great because I really don’t like them either!  After indulging in all of the “terrible” American food while they have been here, I need to get back to healthier eating!

Anyways, it was a great evening and we are sad to see them go.  The kids have really enjoyed spending time together, and will miss each other dearly.


We received a set of coffee cups that have artwork from a local artist in their Norwegian town.



“I saw on you and you saw on me and we laughed so good…”

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment