Friday, June 29, 2012

Speed Dating

I am not talking about speed dating in its true form where one would go to an organized event to have short conversations with would-be suitors.  Luckily, I met my Prince Farming at the ripe age of 19 and did not have to resort to such drastic measures. 

Even now Travis and I rarely go on dates between his farming schedule, having two small children, and living in the middle of nowhere.  Not that we ever went on many dates when we lived in the big city either.  However, over the past weekend we had more “dates” than I think we have had in the previous six months.

Last Thursday we attended our local community theater’s musical Bye Bye Birdie.  Our town has an abundance of talented people that choose to participate in an annual summer production.  It was a great show and we knew many of the actors personally from church.  We went with Travis’s grandma, so technically I guess it really wasn’t a date – we were just happy to escape from the children for two hours.  And as soon as we got home Travis was back in the field spraying.

We love you Conrad, oh yes we do...

Friday we traveled to the Cities with the boys to visit my family (and go to Target).  We had some other plans as well…

Our second date of the weekend was on Saturday when we attended the wedding of one of my friends from college (the boys stayed home with my parents).  I hadn’t seen a lot of my college friends for a very long time, so a good time was held by all.

Put a ring on it!

Travis and I even got a photo together.  I have received a few comments saying that I don’t post enough photos of myself on the blog.  That is because I just don’t have a lot of photos of myself since I am typically the one behind the camera.  But we are going to try to get more pictures together, and with ourselves and the boys.  FINE!

After a little over 4 hours of sleep (thanks to Charlie waking up at the crack of dawn), Travis and I stumbled jumped out of bed and drove a couple of hours to Iowa to pick up some GPS parts from a farmer near Mason City.  I’m not sure if you can even count it as a date, but the kids weren’t with us, so that is about as close as we are going to get.  We ate lunch at Dairy Queen and split a Blizzard…yep, that is as romantic as it gets around here.

We stopped by the Frank Lloyd Wright Stockman House, but unfortunately were too late to take a tour.

Stockman House - Mason City, Iowa

Next we went to the Historic Park Inn Hotel, which was also designed by Mr. Wright and recently went under a $20 million restoration.  We were not able to go on one of the guided tours, but the staff let us walk around and take photos as we pleased.

Historic Park Inn Hotel - Mason City, Iowa

Street View of the Historic Park Inn Hotel

Yes, that is artificial turf.

The former bank is now the hotel ballroom.

The plaque.

Look!  Another photo of us!

The short lobby ceiling.

Stained glass everywhere!

Sitting area.

Stained glass ceiling.

Not designed with comfort in mind.

Doorways were not designed for people over 6' tall.

Ladies parlor...not sure where the Men's was.

The deck outside overlooked a park.

One of the many hallways.

We would like to come back and stay at the hotel on a road trip to Chicago and visit the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings there as we have already been to Taliesin (Spring Green, Wisconsin) and Taliesin West (Scottsdale, AZ), but that would mean actually going on a vacation…without the children.  My chances of going on a vacation are about a slim as going on a normal date.

After leaving Mason City we went back to the Cities to my parent’s house.  My mother had a bottle of wine as therapy from watching the boys over the course of one and a half days by the end of that evening.  I guess that I shouldn’t wonder why some days I think that I might go insane – it’s not just me!

Monday morning we loaded up the car and headed back to the farm.  I am still trying to recover from all of the food, booze, and sleep deprivation, that filled our long weekend.  How did dating ever become so exhausting?

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment