Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Ophidiophobia

Ophidiophobia is the fear of snakes. 

Many people are terrified of snakes.  Some people are able to tolerate snakes, but are still just plain grossed out by them when it comes to being near one.  Then there are the freaks who actually like snakes.

I think that I would categorize myself in the neutral group.  I mean, it just isn’t normal for an animal to be able to move across the ground without any legs.  Or not blink.  Or sense objects with its tongue.

That and snakes are notorious for not moving until you are right next to them and startle you so bad that you need to go check your pants.

I don’t know what it is with farmers, or maybe just people living in the country, but they hate snakes.  As soon as we moved on to the farm, I was instructed that if I ever saw a snake that I was to kill it immediately.  There are too many horror stories out there of a snake den taking over an old house or some other structure.

Being the good farmwife that I am, I have already killed 5 snakes this summer.  The quota could probably be higher, but I am usually with the kids and don’t want them to think that I am some snake slaying manic.  I also require a weapon like a garden spade or shovel to do the deed, which I typically don’t have on me at all times.  Travis tries to tell me that is no excuse.

I previously mentioned that my garden is adjacent to where the old farmhouse once stood.  The concrete slab that made up the front steps is on the edge of the woods, and it is home to some snakes.  I occasionally will see a snake slither through the grass as I am approaching the area.  And unfortunately for the snakes if I am in the garden I am armed and ready have my tools diggin’ in the dirt.

Today while I was weeding the tomatoes and carrots, I saw something out of the corner of my eye.


My instincts had me wanting to hack away at the black plastic mulch with my cultivator.


Fortunately, I was able to recognize it was not a snake, but an old snake skin…of a snake that likes to warm itself on my garden bed.


I took out the skin (using my gardening gloves) from underneath the plastic.  I didn’t have my measuring tape, but it had to have been around 2-and-a-half feet long.



In other garden news, I am harvesting the first veggies of the season.  We’ve been eating spinach and lettuce this week at every meal!






Now that I’ve thought more about it, maybe I’ll develop ophidiophobia after all.  Or just be the maniac snake slayer and leave their carcasses on the stoop that they like to call home.

Gross...sorry.


Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment