Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Where's the Beef?

Two weeks ago we purchased and had a chest freezer delivered to the farm.


Prior to living at the farm, we never had a chest freezer since we lived in an apartment and barely had enough room to sleep, let alone a huge appliance.  It greatly hindered my stock-piling nature and I was very sad because of it.  Okay, not really, but I was really looking forward to someday having the extra freezer space so that I didn’t have to reorganize the fridge every time I went grocery shopping!

When we moved to the farm, my in-laws had a massive chest freezer from the 1970’s.  However, it had been unplugged since they were not living at the farm full-time, and when we went to plug it back in it wouldn’t freeze.  We continued to be without a chest freezer, but there is a second fridge in the basement so that helped.

We were intending on purchasing a chest freezer sometime this year, but there became an urgent need – a quarter of a cow was being processed at the butcher and we needed someplace to store it.

Did you know that there is a rule that on every farm you have to have some percentage of a cow in your freezer at all times?

Yes, it is almost a law.

Thankfully, we are now in accordance.  This is what a processed quarter of a cow looks like, scraps and all.


The meat locker is located right next to the VFW, hence the beer boxes.

Now I just have to work on filling the rest of it!  Hopefully by the end of the summer we have bags and bags of veggies…and maybe a few baked goods too.


Oh, I forgot to mention that after the freezer was delivered Travis jokingly said that it was my Mother’s Day present, which is comical in itself because we don’t even exchange gifts for birthdays.  Some women may cringe at getting an appliance for a “gift,” but I am okay with it!  Heck, I’m stoked about it!

It is not like he was giving me a cattle gate as a gift…which may have happened to another woman who lives(d) on this farm at one point in time.

Beef: it’s what’s for dinner!


Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment