Thursday, May 24, 2012

Old Fashioned Saturday Night

This past Saturday the boys and I headed into town to meet up with their great-grandma.  The local historical society was putting on a fundraiser to replace the windows in the museum.  It was coined “Old Fashioned Saturday Night.”  People were to shine up their collector cars and cruise downtown like was done on Saturday nights of yesteryear (or the 1950’s).  Later in the evening there was going to be a dance at the City Auditorium.

Although I drive by it every time we go into town, I have never actually set foot in the museum.  The museum is housed in the old Masonic Temple.  It was quite the surprise.  I was amazed at the collection that they had.


The building was constructed in 1927 and at that time cost $27,000.



The upper floor of the building was where the Masons held their meetings.  It is where about half of the exhibits are housed.



There are many rooms, but it is still unknown what some of the spaces were used for.  This space was recently remodeled and the exhibit put together for the all-class reunion last summer.


The lower level has the other half of the exhibits and is where the dance hall was located.  According to my tour guide, the floor was designed with a footing of cinders to prevent buckling.

Just imagine if I had to till my garden with this thing...

By this time it was becoming very apparent that we had to get out of there fast.  Charlie was getting a little too touchy-feely with the displays and I was carrying around all 26 pounds of Levi with the diaper bag (which could possibly weigh the same) – and the building was not air-conditioned and I was wearing a fleece jacket.

After our museum tour we headed to the City Auditorium to grab a bag of popcorn.  It used to be the City Hall, but now houses a large open space on the upper floor (the auditorium) and the local wellness center on the lower level.


We had our popcorn and car-watched.  Charlie insisted on sitting on the auditorium’s front steps to say “hi” to everyone that walked in.  This is no surprise to me.  The kid is starving for attention from anyone other than myself.


We saw about 15 cars, but this would have been my ride back in the day.  Same color as our 2006 Impala!



Some of the other cool cars included:






Let’s take a closer look, shall we?


They don’t make hood ornaments like that anymore!

I was hoping to see a drag race or two, but I don't think that was part of the programming.  The boys and I had to head back to the farm before the dance so I could get them in bed at a reasonable time.  I am not sure how hoppin’ it was.  They were charging 50 cents for adults and 25 cents for kids, just like in the good ol' days.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment