Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Project Green Thumb: Ground Breaking

Today was monumental.

Today I broke ground on one of my main projects of the year: the garden!

For the past two and a half months I have been reading books on vegetable gardening, looking at seed catalogs, and planning the layout of my garden.  I’ve educated myself and now it is time to get my hands dirty.

Due to the mild winter and early spring, I could have started prepping the soil weeks ago, but I’ve been holding off.  Somehow I have been unable to convenience Travis that getting my garden ready is just as important as him prepping the fields and planting grain.  He has already been in the field for over a week and has all of the wheat seeded and should be finishing up on the barley tomorrow (corn and soybeans are not planted until later in the month).

My sister-in-law and brother-in-law have a rototiller that they were going to lend to us, but thankfully when my grandpa was at the farm for Charlie’s birthday he mentioned that he still has my late grandma’s old tiller and is letting me have it!  And showing me how to use it – dangerous!

However, since we are starting the garden from grass, I have to do a little prep work before they arrive.

I decided on having 8 to 10 beds that are all sized 3’ x 12’, with 2’ walkways in between each bed.  The walkways will make it easier with the kids while maintaining the garden and during harvest.  I plan on leaving the walkways just grass and will mow with a push mower – another first.

But you don’t have a garden until you dig up that soil, so that is what I did!


Prior breaking out the shovel, I dumped half a box of Teddy Grahams on the tray on Levi’s stroller…


And brought out a box of special outside-only toys that Charlie doesn’t get to play with everyday.


I figured I was just buying myself time.

By the time I had half of the first bed dug up, Charlie was over playing in the dirt.  He did a good job of staying out of my way keeping himself occupied.


Once I started on the second bed, Levi wanted to get in on the action so I let him out of jail his stroller.  He really just wanted to get into Charlie’s toys, so I didn’t have to worry much about him.

After just a couple hours I had three of the beds dug out, and decided that was pretty good considering I had the “help” of a 14-month-old and 3-year-old.


And Levi was pooped – literally (I know, thanks for sharing).

We are supposed to get rain for the next couple of days, so hopefully I can work on the remaining 5 to 7 beds next week.  My grandpa and parents are coming up the last weekend of the month, so I have until then to get it ready!


Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment