Sunday, April 15, 2012

Diggin' in the Dirt

Yesterday the boys and I continued our quest of preparing the garden for tilling.  A few days prior we had broke ground on what shall hopefully be a fruitful vegetable garden.


Levi was in charge of digging…


And eating the dirt.


Charlie was in charge of worm cultivation…


And hopefully not eating them.


My sister-in-law had a garden a couple of years ago in the same area where I am digging my garden.  When I started digging plots it had been right where her garden had been.  The ground was dry at the time and the sod was not very thick since it had just been re-seeded last spring.

Yesterday I started digging west of where we had previously been on an area that had not been tilled.  It had also rained the day before, so the soil was heavy.  I hit clay.  I hit rocks (with beetles hiding underneath them).  My arms and back are sore.


I also found many old nails.  These are just a few of them.


Did I mention that this is the area where the original farmhouse once stood?


Needless to say we will not be walking around barefoot in the garden.  Ever.


So here’s to progress!



Just one more day of 2 to 3 hours of work and I think I’ll have the remaining 2 to 4 plots dug out.


Oh, I forgot to mention there’s a chance it might snow tonight.



Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment