Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Break My Stride

Today I went to town to run a few errands.  It was completely sporadic for me since I never leave the farm.  Really.

The main reason why I went was to go to the county courthouse to license my our car which still has Minnesota plates and the tabs just expired. My mother-in-law was at the farm, so we thought that it was a good time to get it done without the kids along (reference my driver’s license ordeal here, although that was a completely different department).

FREEDOM!

Anyways, that didn’t work out because the title to the vehicle has Travis’s and my name, but is missing the “OR” between them.  I discovered that both of us have to be present with our driver’s licenses and our John Hancock’s to get it licensed in North Dakota.  “OR” else…details.

I left the courthouse and went to my favorite place in town: the grocery store.

I’m not being sarcastic.  I really do like it.  It is small, but very clean with nice staff that always have the shelves well stocked.  They also have mini grocery carts for the kiddos, so Charlie has something to knock over push around while I'm shopping.  That wasn’t necessary for this trip though!

As I was meandering the store filling the cart to the brim (these guys can eat…lots), I strolled up to the dairy aisle to pick up some butter which was on sale for $1.98 a pound.  I noticed an elderly man stocking his cart up with the butter too.  In fact, it was the only thing in his cart.

After he had eight pounds in his cart, I jokingly asked him if he was going to take all of them.  He said, “No, this should do it.  It’ll keep well in freezer, and today is Wednesday so I get my 5% senior discount.”

I found this slightly humorous because anytime I discuss the grocery store, or groceries in general, with Travis’s grandma that lives in said town she always mentions that she goes on Wednesdays to get her 5% senior citizens discount.  I think that they really need to come up with a farm wife discount.  I like saving money too!

The elderly man moved on and I started putting (only) four pounds of butter into my cart.  He started to turn down another aisle, but turned back to say, “They don’t give me the discount because I’m old, but because of my good looks.”

That really did make me smile.

Then I made my way down the aisle and was staring at the refrigerated cases of sour cream and bulk yogurt when I heard a familiar tune of an electric piano playing over the store’s speakers.

I thought, “Could it be?”

YEEESSSS!

Ain’t nothing gonna break my stride!
Nobody's gonna slow me down, oh-no!
I got to keep on movin'!

"Break My Stride" by Matthew Wilder

Let’s just say that it totally made my day!*

But what made the day even better is that after I got home from the grocery store, I got to spend it with two adorable boys, one chubby munchkin and one who only had one potty accident the entire day!  My front stoop may be an outhouse, but I’m (getting to be) okay with that.

Dana


*Completely disregard this post if you did not live in the sorority house with me from the years 2003 – 2006.  Let’s just say it was my theme song and imagine an uncoordinated white girl doing the running man, only not standing still, and going around in a circle.  Heck yes!

No comments:

Post a Comment