Monday, January 16, 2012

Projectile Blueberry

What is it with young children and sticking small objects in their bodily orifices?  Mouth, ears, nose, belly button.

I’m sure that it’s part of them learning about their bodies, but really, why is this necessary?

If it’s not bad enough that my oldest child picks his nose constantly, does he really need to shove more stuff up there?

It is routine for Charlie to wake up from his nap in the afternoon, have a snack and watch PBS on TV while I sit at the computer and read blogs get other housework done until his little brother wakes up.  On the day of Charlie’s ouchie doctor appointment, he wanted to have some dried blueberries for his afternoon snack.


Charlie loves dried blueberries.  We always have a bag of them around the house.  I also like them because since they are dried, they do not create a huge mess if they are spilled and are “lost” for days – they don’t crumble, start to stink, etc.  Maybe that is a reason he has trouble digesting them too.  Don’t ask me why I know this…never mind.

Anyways, as I was typing on the computer dusting in the office I heard Charlie in the living room having a sneeze attack.  I thought, “What is that boy up to?”  The sneezing subsided for a bit, but then it dawned on me…

I rushed down the stairs and stared at Charlie and his half-eaten bowl of dried blueberries.

Me: Charlie, did you put a blueberry up your nose?

Charlie: (annoyed that I am standing in front of the TV)  No.

Me: Charlie, did you put a blueberry up your nose?  You need to tell Mommy if there is something in your nose.  Did you shove a blueberry up your nose?!

Charlie: Yep.

Me: For the love of God!  Seriously, what is wrong with you?!  Do you like going to the doctor that much that you wanted to go twice today?!  UGH!  Okay, let me get the flashlight and take a look at it.

As I was on the brink of a mental breakdown, I shown the flashlight up his nostrils.  There in the depths of his right nostril was a small, wrinkled, dark blue object: a dried blueberry.

It was now 4 o’clock, and there being no way I was going to be able to remove the object myself, and I called Travis to tell him that once Levi woke from his nap we’d be going to urgent care to have the blueberry removed.

Charlie continued to have sneeze fests and try pick it out of his nose.  I told him to just sit on the couch and not move and his sneezing may get it out.  Thankfully, 20 minutes later, that dried blueberry came shooting out of his nose all covered in snot.


Be glad that the photo is blurry.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment