Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Have you HERD?!

I am a little late on getting this post up.  After all, I have had more pressing issues to deal with like broken bones.  I will post an update on that soon as we have Charlie's doctor appointment in the morning.

But not to be ignored, the title of this post is really a shortened version of the following:

Have you heard that the NDSU Bison, also known as the Thundering Herd, are the 2011 NCAA Division I football champions?!

If you are a Bison fan, you are obviously aware of this, as it is one of the greatest championships in the school’s history.  If you are not “in the know,” please let me inform you.

Back in 2002, NDSU announced that is was going Division I.  This was the summer prior to me starting classes that fall.  This announcement had nothing to do with me choosing to go to college there.  Frankly, the only reasons that I chose to go to NDSU were:

1) There was a reciprocity program with the state of Minnesota, and therefore cheaper tuition.  (Even more ironic that it was cheaper for me to go to school in North Dakota than go to a Minnesota university.)

2) Fargo is over three and a half hours away from the Twin Cities.  (I just needed some independence.)

3) NDSU is known to have a good engineering college.  (Please note that I do not have an engineering degree.)

4) I was ignorant to North Dakota weather patterns.  (People don’t have sunburns, they have windburn).

Anyways, many people were very skeptical.  Why mess with a good thing?  At the time, NDSU had eight national football championships and were dominating the conference in many sports at the Division II level.  And not to mention the archrival at UND (are they the Sioux, or Flickertails…whatever, I don’t even care).

However, there was no going back and I don’t think any Bison fan regrets it after the win this weekend against Sam Houston State University in Frisco, TX.  It is a great time to be a Bison fan.

Travis and I watched the game at Joe Sensor’s in Plymouth with one of Travis’s old co-workers…sans children.  Thank you to my sister for babysitting!


Travis wore his championship t-shirt that he received from his sister and brother-in-law for Christmas.  I wore my hair down.  This is only successfully accomplished when I am not around Levi.

I am ashamed to say that this is really the only Bison football game I have watched all season.  I know!  I know!  What kind of alumna am I?!  But most of the games occur during the boys’ naps, and I take full advantage of that time to get other things done.  And maybe, just maybe, take a nap myself.  Yet, I did pay attention to whether they won or lost throughout the season (via Facebook statuses…seriously).

It will be great to see what next year’s football season brings.  There is still some rumbling thunder in the distance.

Bison Fan,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment