Monday, December 19, 2011

All I Want for Christmas

Everyone with young children, sing it with me (to the tune of “All I Want For Christmas Is My Two Front Teeth):


All I want for Christmas is…

A full nights SLEEP,

A full NIGHTS SLEEP,

A FULL NIGHTS SLEEP!


Really, is it too much to ask for?  I know I already shared with everyone my very nice present from Santa here, but what I really want right now does not involve cookies.  Okay, the cookies help, but really do not solve my dilemma.

Ever since the end of October, Levi’s sleep schedule has been all over the place.  Granted, he did have two different colds, with two separate ear infections.  A sick child equals a poor sleeper.

However, he has been healthy ever since the beginning of December, and has now decided he just wants to have the sleep patterns of a newborn again (aside from the whole sleeping a lot part, which is lovely).

Prior to the end of October, he hadn’t been a horrible sleeper (not like he has had colic, which I hear is a nightmare).  I was able to manage to get him down to primarily one nap a day at the same relative time as Charlie, so that I can get some sort of mental break.  And we try to keep the same routine with the consistent times throughout the day.  It has not helped.

His typical sleep schedule as of recent is:

10-10:30am – Wake up
1:30pm to 3-3:30pm – Nap
8pm – Bedtime
9:30-10pm – Wake up as if he had just been taking another nap
1-1:30am – Go to bed for good…if I am lucky

The vicious cycle repeats.  I am typically waked up at 5:50am by Travis’s alarm, and then Charlie wakes up at 7am.

Getting 6 or less hours of sleep each night may work for some people, but I am not one of them.  I have always needed (at least) 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep every night.  I am also not good with naps, and am a light sleeper, so I wake up whenever one of the boys makes a peep…or Travis snores, which thankfully is not that often.

Besides the grouchiness slight irritability and exhaustion, I know I am sleep deprived when I develop an eye twitch.  My right lower eye lid is having spasms, but I don’t think that it is too noticeable (hopefully).  I wonder what will happen if both my eyes start twitching?  Aside from being annoying to me, what will other people think?  Fortunately, at this time of year I don’t think I’ll be the only crazed looking person.

Once we get back from traveling over the holidays, I am going to have to break him of his new routine if it is not “corrected” by him.  We used the Ferber method with Charlie at 15 months when we finally got him off of the bottle and were starting to get him off of the pacifier.  It was hard to listen to him cry, but it worked.  Charlie continues to be a great sleeper.  He sleeps from 8:30pm until 7 or 7:30am and takes an hour and a half to two hour nap everyday…something that I am very grateful for.

I believe that the reason Levi has decided that he can party in his crib each night is he is reaching yet another developmental milestone.  He is starting to WALK with assistance.  I know, right?!  Walking at 10 months!  Charlie didn’t start walking by himself until 18 months!  He has been cruising along furniture and walls for a couple of weeks and is now learning to walk.


Does anyone else have their Christmas tree in jail?


Levi leaves it alone during the day, but for some reason during our nightly slumber party he decides to be a troublemaker and stretches his arms through the railings to try and grab at the lights and ornaments with his pudgy little hands.  When I catch him in the act and ask him what his is doing he looks back at me with a coy smile and goes back to his game.  Even though I am sleep deprived, it is hard be mad at him when he is being so darn cute.


Mom Zombie,
Dana

3 comments:

  1. Dana-

    Want Larry and I to take him fishing for a day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, my sister's tree is in jail too. They are keeping it out of the way from my almost 12 month old twin niece and nephew! I agree Levi is pretty darn cute when playing his 'game'. :)
    ~Becky LaBoda

    ReplyDelete