Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Flatlander


As of today I am officially a flatlander and North Dakota resident.  We had changed our address with the post office back in August, but today I got my ND driver’s license!

How exciting!  Not.  It was actually kind of painful.

The driver’s license people come to our county seat once a month, and the previous two times I had not been able to go get it.  The day in August I was actually driving to ND with my mom and the kids to move to the farm.  The day in September I was in Fargo.  Sure, I could have got it taken care of in Fargo, but I just had other important things to do (like shopping at Target).

This morning I dropped off Charlie at his 94-year-old great-grandma’s house, and Levi and I went to the Armory to stand in line for 30 minutes to be told that the computer was down for state transfers, so I had the option to wait until it started working (if it did in fact start working) or leave and come back later.  I asked if there was a number I could call to check and see if it was operational and I was told no…as the person was receiving a call on her cell phone that was probably paid for by the state.

Great-grandma had to go to something at the church soon after, so I went back to her house to pick up Charlie.  I decided that before we would leave town I would run back in to see if the computer was working, and it was!

Back into the Armory I went with both boys and my limousine of a stroller to wait in line, again.  We were now approaching the witching hour of Levi needing a nap, so I shoved some snacks in front of Charlie to occupy him, and was doing a variety of handstands, magic tricks, and peek-a-boo to keep Levi entertained.  I am sure that I looked pretty ridiculous to the other people, but a mom’s got to do what a mom’s got to do.

The other option was to let him cry and wail – maybe that would have got me through the line sooner.  Don’t get me wrong, the staff was generally kind mannered, I just don’t think that they understood the stress that comes with having to do things with two young kids in tow.

I still have to change my cell phone number to a local number instead of a Cities area code.  My car also needs to get a ND license plate, but we are putting that off until it needs to be renewed in the spring.

Also, please note that I am aware that not all of North Dakota is flat.  I just have not been to those areas that actually do have significant changes in elevation (besides the small river valleys in which the surrounding small towns reside).  Oh, I’ll get there someday.

Flatlander,
Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment