Friday, September 30, 2011

Here Kitty, Kitty!

This morning Travis was working on the combine header for another day of soybean harvest when he kept hearing a meow.  Meow.  Meow.  Meeeeooowww.  This is who he discovered.


Meet Mr. Kitty.  Charlie loves to go out and look at the “kitties” whenever someone will go to the barn with him.  Up to this point, I have only seen adult cats - seven to be exact.

Now, I am NOT a cat person.  We never had cats growing up - just dogs, big dogs.  I really don’t think that cats are all that cute and cuddly (my apologies to the CCL – Crazy Cat Ladies).  And the whole idea of them doing their business inside one’s house really grosses me out, even if it is in the litter box in your laundry room, or worse, bathroom.

However, I realize that cats have a purpose on the farm – they are to kill as many mice as possible.  They live in the barn and keep to themselves as they are not very tame.  We feed them a small amount of cat food and some of our leftovers, but I really try to limit those as they should have an appetite left for the critters.  We have been able to keep a steady cat population on the farm, even with a very hands-off approach.


Travis thought about having us keep Mr. Kitty in the garage through the winter, but I was not too crazy about the idea, and he was pretty unsure of it himself.  Caring for a cat is not one of the responsibilities we want to take on at the moment.

I already have a baby and toddler to change diapers for, and I don’t need to clean up cat feces too.  And there’s the whole aspect that he might already have distemper (which we are pretty sure he does), and all of our efforts would be wasted…for a CAT (again, sorry to the CCL).



We brought him back to the barn to find his mama, and are going to let nature play its course.  If he survives, great!  I’ll feed him food scraps.

And before people decide to comment on how cruel we are being, please remember that he is a barn cat, and we already saved him from the jaws of the combine once.  It could have been way worse…

Now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to go wash my hands.

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment